To download an application, click here.
To request more information or that an application be mailed to you, click here.
Copper Country Habitat for Humanity builds homes and sells them at no profit and no interest to local families who cannot otherwise afford adequate housing. To be selected as a Habitat homeowner, you must first fill out an application and meet the following guidelines:
- You must submit an application.
- You must have a housing need. This includes houses with overcrowded living space, severe structural problems, or unsafe or unsanitary conditions.
- Your annual household income should not exceed 45% of the median income for the state of Michigan. For example, for a family of four, 45% of the median income is $27,225. This figure will be greater for larger households and less if there are fewer than four people.
- You must be willing to allow Habitat to verify employment and other income, to verify checking and savings balances, to run a credit check, to ask for references, and to interview you in your current home.
- You must work 200 hours of “sweat equity” for each adult in the household. Up to 25% of the hours may be completed by designated friends or relatives. Sweat equity may include construction, helping the organization with fund-raising and publicity, office tasks, or any hands-on involvement with Habitat.
- You will be required to attend financial management counseling.
- You will need to make a down payment of at $350 prior to the start of construction, and you will be responsible for closing costs and mortgage payments. Since Habitat homes are built primarily with volunteer labor, costs are kept as low as possible to keep mortgage payments affordable.
If you think that you meet these guidelines, and are interested in becoming a Habitat for Humanity homeowner, you can begin by completing an application and returning it to Copper Country Habitat for Humanity, P.O. 231, Houghton MI 49931 or dropping it off at Gloria Dei Lutheran Church, 1000 Quincy Street, Hancock. If you have any questions or need help filling out the application, feel free to call or e-mail the Habitat office (482-5376 or email@example.com).